25 Jan 2013 12 Comments
Nothing like working out in the gym while watching hockey. Unfortunately, the Flames have started out just as I expected! Otherwise, pretty quiet on my end. I finally got a kick in the butt when I realized that my upcoming trip was coming up fast! I’m one of those people who prefers to plan everything, so this project will keep me busy for the next few weeks!
Check out the blogs I enjoyed this week:
1. Nothing is more awesome than watching someone go through with something they say! Liquid talked about the coffee industry last week, and this week, he has gone ahead and purchased some shares. He now owns 3 of the biggest players in the coffee industry, which nets him a neat $155 a year in dividends. Check out his “Investing in the Daily Grind” post. BTW, you can own Tim Hortons in XIC, and Starbucks and McDonalds in VTI. Just saying.
2. Mr. CBB had another kick-ass week for his groceries; $0.95 for 10lbs of potatoes. Seriously. I don’t know how he does it! Check out his other great finds in this week’s Grocery Game.
3. It is no secret that I’m a HUGE fan of the TFSA, so I really loved “The Gift” by Garth Turner this week. He even gives his 2 cents about the TFSA vs. RRSP debate.
4. Jeremy over at Modest Money had an interesting post asking “Is Franchising Business Right For You?” This is definitely I have thought about and looked into in the past few years, but haven’t jumped into anything yet!
5. Avrom over at The Dividend Ninja is participating in the “Take Control of Your Financial Future Seminar.” It is being held in Vancouver on April 20, 2013, so if you are in the area, CHECK IT OUT! For those who want to shift from your current mutual funds to a DIY approach, he will be covering that as well!
6. Michelle over at See Debt Run had a great post wondering “Was I a Hoarder of Just Really Lazy?” With my moving around to different places in the past few years, I have been able to pare down my possessions, mainly because I don’t want to lug it all to the new place! Do you have a “hoarder room” somewhere in your place?
7. Glen over at the Monster Piggy Bank had a guest post about “Financial Plans to Make Before Marriage.” I don’t think you have to combine finances, but I do think that couples should at least have the conversation. It still surprises me when I hear that married couples have no idea what the other one earns!
8. I LOVED this post by CF over at The Outlier Model about “Why Not To Have Children…EVER.” I think having children is a very personal choice, and I HATE it when I am asked “Where are my grandchildren?” It makes me soooo mad… even though I have always wanted kids. More than I have wanted a husband.
9. Savvy Scot had a post about “3 Bad Habits That Blow Your Budget.” I am definitely guilty of number 2, but am trying to reduce it. I HAVE NO WILLPOWER!
10. Prairie Eco-Thrifter had post about “Natural Home Cleaning From Products Found In Your Home.” I have only used vinegar and baking soda before, so I will definitely have to try the other suggestions!
I stumbled upon this cartoon this week:
Oh, how I love math!
Have a great weekend!